|Joseph A. Varacalli|
Dr. Varacalli is Professor of Sociology and newly appointed Director of the Center for Catholic Studies at Nassau Community College. In 1992, he co-founded (with Stephen M. Krason) the Society of Catholic Social Scientists. He is the author of Bright Promise, Failed Community: Catholics and the American Public Order (2001) and The Catholic Experience in America (The American Religious Experience) (2005).
- Special Section: Joseph Varacalli: a Bibliography (Catholic Social Sciene Review 2009)
Published Works (Relevant to the Discussion):
- Bright Promise, Failed Community: Catholics and the American Public Order Lexington Books (January 2000).
- Catholicism, the Tea Party Movement, and American Civilization: Questions, Propositions, and Proposals Catholic Social Science Review Vol. XVII (2012).
- A Catholic House in Repair or Further Dividing? Catholic Social Science Review Vol. XIV (2009).
- On Being Catholic American Homiletic and Pastoral Review August / September 2004. Dr. Varacalli presents a series of twelve propositions and principles on how Catholics ought to analyze their relationship to American society and culture.
- Central Themes in the History of the Catholic Church in the United States The Catholic Social Science Review Volume XI, 2007.
- Catholic Social Thought And American Civilization Homiletic & Pastoral Review Oct. 2002.
- Catholicism & Democracy Homiletic & Pastoral Review May. 2002.
- Putting the Catholic House Back Together. Lay Witness April 2001.
- The Failure Of The Therapeutic: Implications For Society And Church. Faith & Reason Spring 1997.
- The Contemporary Culture War In America: Whither Natural Law, Catholic Style? Faith & Reason Winter 1995.
- The Catholic Religious and Cultural Center: A Contemporary Call on Behalf of the Faith. Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Newsletter Vol. 18, No. 3. July 1995. pp. 22-26. [.pdf format].
- Multi-Culturalism, Catholicism and American Civilization. Homiletic and Pastoral Review March 1994.
- Granting a Little Too Much to America: One Neo-Conservative on the Renewal of American Democracy. Fellowship of Catholic Scholars Newsletter Vol. 13, No. 3. June 1990. p. 21 ff. [review of Catholicism and the Renewal of American Democracy, by George Weigel].
- Neo-Orthodoxy, the Crisis of Authority, and the Future of the Catholic Church in the United States. Faith & Reason Fall 1989.